Wednesday, December 24, 2008

I decided to find out how to make my own "Cake-ability Baking Aid" since it has been impossible for me to find and I've heard that it is VERY expensive. I thought a good place to start would be finding the actual ingredients that make it, which are:
pasturized egg whites, vegatable gum blend (carob, guar, acacia and xanthan) baking soda, and ascorbic acid

But I don't need to go to the trouble of experimenting to learn how much of each thing will make the magic work, other low carbers have already come up with a substitute recipe. They have also tried it out and swear that it's just as good. Awesome!

So here is what I'm going to add to the pound cake I'm making for Christmas:

I will use 1/2 cup of the below mixture per 2 cups of nut flour used in the cake recipe. Since I'm out of almond meal I plan to grind up some pecans that I have on hand. I hope pecan meal will be good in the pound cake.

1/4 cup JustWhites (egg white powder)
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 heaping tablespoon baking powder


The original faux baking aid recipe called for 1 TBSP baking soda and 1 crushed vitamin C tablet but I am instead using 1 heaping TBSP baking powder as another LC baker suggested. Wish me luck!

The LC pound cake I am making is a lemon pound cake, but I'm wondering if that will go well with the praline flavor the pecan meal is likely to impart. Maybe I should leave out the lemon juice and just add SF Davinci's French Vanilla? Any bakers out there? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...