Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Oct's Nutty Pound Cake


This is the pound cake that I'm baking right now. I started out with a recipe from lowcarbluxury.com and modified the heck out of it.

Crosses fingers that it turns out well. I'll post a photo of a finished slice and give a review after Christmas when I have the results (I'm not touching it before! :) The photo is of the cake right out of the oven and turned onto a plate to cool.

Mix together:
1/2 cup walnuts (meal/flour consistency) (4 carbs? ... 2 carbs per oz of walnuts)
1/2 cup pecans (meal/flour) (2.5 carbs? ... 1.2 carbs per oz of whole pecans)
3/4 cup other nut flour or Carbquik (I used carbquik) (10 carbs)
1/4 cup Vital Wheat Gluten Flour (6 carbs)
1/4 cup egg white powder (0 carbs)
1 heaping TBSP baking powder (0 carbs)
1 tsp xanthan gum (these 3 make Faux Cake-ability baking aid) (0 carbs)
1/2 tsp salt (0 carbs)

Then mix together:
1 TBSP coconut oil (melted) (0 carbs)
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter stirred into the hot coconut oil (0 carbs)
2 oz cream cheese added to both the above until also melted (2 carbs)
5 eggs (3 carbs)
1/2 cup SF Davinci's French Vanilla syrup (1 carb)
1/2 cup Torani SF Hazelnut syrup (1 carb)
a few drops of stevia (because the hazelnut isn't that sweet) (0 carbs)
1 TBSP lemon juice (1 carb)

Then mix wet into dry and bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes (check and adjust)

Original recipe was 4 carbs per serving, makes 15 servings.

For my creation I figured 30.5 carbs for the whole cake (check my calculations, I left notes after each item). So, if you divide this into 10 servings it should be 3 carbs per slice.

OMG the house smells good!

2 comments:

  1. That cake looks delicious, October! Mmmm.

    I hope you and yours have a joyful holiday. :)

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Harry. :) I hope you are having a great holiday as well!

    ReplyDelete

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...