Saturday, February 14, 2009

Planning for the next step

Happy Valentine's day. I look forward to reading your blogs to find out how you spent the day and what you ate. That sounds so voyeuristic but hey, we all are interested in what each other is eating! o_O

I am going to finish the next two days shooting for 20carbs and 1500 calories. This new calorie restriction while keeping the carbs at about 20 is VERY DIFFICULT for me. I think about food all freakin' day! I am disciplined enough to say "no" all day too ... no no no no no no no no no NO no sigh no no no no no no no no SIGH no no no. It is more difficult than I can describe to constantly say no to myself, but I want to start losing again so badly.

I believe I'm onto something here. Next week I plan to up my carbs somewhat while keeping the calories below 1500. I don't want to go crazy with the carbs, I will give myself a daily range of 40-60. I'll try that for a week and decide where to adjust from there. I still whole-heartedly believe in low carb, but ultra low carb is not working for me anymore, and boy have I tried going even less so I know that isn't working for me either. Since I've given this stall a month and a half to start moving I think I've been very patient and diligent.

I've started to wonder if on 20 carbs a day and not watching calories, the body will lose great for a good while (for me it was ten pounds a month lost for seven months) and then stall. Maybe starting to watch calories and upping carbs somewhat is the key to getting things moving again. I tried keeping carbs at 20 while watching calories for a week. I think I'm on the edge of a loss, but it still doesn't seem to be the solution. Next week is a fresh try to get it moving again and I really hope it works!

Now I've got to start thinking about how to get in a few more carbs without increasing calories. I'm thinking I should still avoid most of the things I've avoided all along, so upping the brussels sprouts and adding a few more low carb veggies might be a good answer. I'll give it some good thought before Monday gets here. Your suggestions are very welcome!

ALL the EATs and DRINKs:
[3 carb][200 cal]
2 TBSP LC peanut butter
-----
[7 carb][675 cal] half serving of chili with 2 kosher beef franks
-----
[14 carb][120 cal] one valentine chocolate with peanut butter (planned)

diet drinks:
(3) 12oz Diet Rite PURE ZERO tangerine (sweetened with Splenda)
(3) 12oz Diet BIG RED (sweetened with Splenda)
(1/2) 6oz of a diet rootbeer sweetened with Splenda that Cro bought for me as a surprise

THIS DAY'S TOTAL IS 24 carbs & 995 calories

4 comments:

  1. between you and sadekat's challenge i'm realizing that i also need to start seriously counting calories. i'm pretty sure i'm up and down rather than eating a steady healthy amount.

    doing low carb and calorie counting seems like a lot of work, but i hope to see it pay off for you! i think i will try it too. great idea with the brussel sprouts, so delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is work! I just hope it will be worth it!

    You should read about Chai's success too. She broke her stall. It's disheartening to be doing things just as always but to no longer see results. That really has me thinking about some calorie restriction along with carb counting. I'll be reading your blog to see how your experience shakes out. Maybe you'll learn something that none of us knew. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's one idea for adding carbs - maybe consider some of the lower glycemic, higher fiber sources of carbs. They may aid you in keeping your blood sugar more balanced - while you keep your calories relatively low.

    Berries and canned pumpkin are two of my favorite fruits that are pretty low cal, low glycemic and high in fiber.

    Hope your V-Day was truly excellent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harry, those are very good suggestions, thank you. I love pumpkin (and strawberries!).

    ReplyDelete

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...