Sunday, February 15, 2009

TMI

We were discussing corporate greed in regards to product labeling and the inclusion of "hidden" ingredients yesterday. I just learned something that flips my perception of the corporate word 360 and lands it back on it's head (back were I always knew it was) yesterday.

Don't read this particular post if you don't want to get into my personal life beyond LC (I'm serious and I apologize in advance if you do continue reading). I only intend to reveal this once and then I'm not going to bring it up again because there is nothing that can be done to correct it. This has nothing to do with you blogger friends and nothing to do with weight loss, so it isn't necessary to continue reading.

.
.
.

My sister was born with brain damage. This was a long time ago and my family has done it's best to make sure she is in the correct programs to aid her life (special ed while in school, federal programs to help ensure that she has a minimum wage job and can afford to rent a small apartment and the bare necessities of living). She will never drive, never have a husband, never have children, and always be limited in what she is capable of achieving. She is mentally retarded.

My mom shared with me that Laura was a blue baby. Meaning that she nearly died at birth due to lack of oxygen. I have always attributed this to why she is how she is.

Mom shared with me yesterday that she and dad highly suspect my sister's condition can be attributed to mom's use of a birth control method called the "Dalkon Shield" after I was born and before my sister was conceived. This was the first time mom revealed this information to me. Naturally I looked it up later yesterday.

What I found out has, like I said, flipped my world and set it back in place. There is nothing that can be done. All parties responsible are decades beyond retribution. Legal retribution would still not correct what happened. So, now I have knowledge that I didn't have before, it doesn't change my opinion of corporate greed, it doesn't change anything. But I have a very odd feeling in my soul. It's like not only finding out that Santa is dead, but that he was also a pedophile.

Sad revelation over. You guys don't have to respond to this. I'm fine and my sister is much loved by my family. I just wanted to express this once to the world and let it go.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Oct, I'm so sorry to hear this about your sister's difficulties. This world is a tough place all on its own when you have every advantage. I'm glad though, that she has some independence! :( So sorry you had to learn about this new revelation. I know God will bring you peace in this though, with time. :hugs:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks pooti. Like I said, this new knowledge doesn't change anything. I'm happy that she (and I) have been so loved. Everyone has a cross to bear, as they say. *hugs back at you!*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, You know I have to tell you My Mom told me and my sister many years ago, when we were still young, to never never get an IUD. She told us to go on the pill if we ever wanted to use birth control. I wonder if the dalkon shield was her reason for telling us that. Thank you for sharing something so personal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll bet it could have been that same thing. She is a good mom to have warned you both even when you were little (probably so she wouldn't forget later on in your lives).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Twisted. hug reciprocated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Something similar happened to a cousin of mine, Oct. He's lived a very difficult life due to side-effects relating to a vaccine he received as a young child.

    All I can say is that I'm very sorry your sister and your family have had to go through such sadness.

    >Hugs< to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Primum non nocere. If only the world worked that way. I'm sorry to hear about your cousin. *hugs*
    I'm grateful for all of the shared support.

    ReplyDelete

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...