Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Dad's surgeon was angry that the Vincennes hospital–where dad went for emergency help–didn't recognize the growing, swelling, red area of his back as infection and transfer him to the Evansville hospital–where he had his recent surgery–a week before they did. He then performed a 3-hour emergency surgery on dad's back (last night) to remove infection. He also installed a pump to continue removing infection.

Before the surgery the doctor said:
- dad's delirium is due to the infection
- dad's delirium will begin to improve greatly once the infection is gone

After the surgery the doctor said:
- dad would not have survived the night without emergency surgery
- dad has sepsis in his brain, kidneys, throughout his body

I googled sepsis of the brain due to infection and am more than a little worried about prospects of fatality or permanent brain damage.

Yeah, I'm the sharer of depressing tidings.

Got to work at 5am again. It will likely be another 15-hour work day, if not more. Next week I don't have much to do ... I'm sure that will change.


Breakfast - 3carb/190cal
[xcarb][xcal ] pb

Lunch - xcarb/xcal
[xcarb][xcal ] one bite of an Atkins bar (was feeling light-headed)
[xcarb][xcal ] a cup of Cro's homemade chili with black soy beans (ground beef, salsa, diced onion, black soy beans, sprinkle of shredded cheese.

Dinner - 7carb/300cal
[7carb][300cal] ground beef, onions, mushrooms, cheese, half of a red bell pepper

TOTAL xcarb/xcal

6 comments:

  1. shit! really sorry to hear about your dad. hope you and your mom are holding up ok. my thoughts are with you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry, Oct. :-(

    Sometimes I just don't understand the way the conventional medical system works. It's as if they don't know or care enough.

    Thank God that your dad is now getting the proper care he needs. Sometimes the body has a remarkable ability to heal from even the greatest of insults. That may very well be the case here. Please don't lose hope.

    My prayers go out to your father, your mom, you, Cro and all those who love your family and are suffering through this incredibly difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not one for praying, but you've got my thoughts with you and your pop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys.

    I'm not one to give up hope, but I have been going through a grieving process for several days due to the possibilities. I hope he gets better and gets his full mind back. If he lives but is left brain-damaged ... ... ... too awful to imagine and too many unknowns so we'll take the blows as they land.

    Hoping for the best and mentally preparing for the worst. I'm very sorry to have blogged you along for this and yet I sincerely thank all of you for offering your best wishes for us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, hope all goes well. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...