Monday, June 29, 2009

the king(s) is dead

So many celebs died in the past week. 2009 is freaking me out. Oddly, the death of Billy Mays has been the biggest downer for me. I looked up to the king of pitchmen. Michael Jackson's death is also leaving me feeling a bit strange. I actually went to Walmart last night and felt sad when I heard a little kid singing ABC 123. What a brilliantly talented f'd-up man he was.

Oh, and while at Walmart I picked up a $10 shirt off the rack, didn't try it on, and am wearing it right now -- see pic. It's good to be smaller. And without the stigmatic "fat girl" fear of stripes. :) As I typed that, Tom Petty's lyrics "It's good to be king" went through my head. I make some odd associations.

I got to work early this morning … lots to accomplish today and tomorrow. I'm already looking forward to the holiday weekend though. I suppose holiday brain is an unavoidable state-of-mind for most people. I like it. It feels like something exciting and special is just around the corner.

I think we are going to visit mom and dad this weekend. It will depend on how dad is feeling and if he is up for having company yet. The new meds have been making him so depressed that he cried off and on Saturday (it's rough when a man like dad cries) and told mom that he didn't know why he was crying.

I can relate to that. I was put on oral prednisone after an IV solu-med treatment a few years ago. The IV steroids made me hyper-peppy and happy. The oral steroids however put me in a dark dark mood where I was so down on life that I actually took measures of laying in the sun for the remainder of the afternoon. I was hoping the natural vitamin D would lighten my mood enough that I would stop contemplating off'ing myself. :( I knew it was an artificial depression, and that I just needed to ride it out. It was such a STRONG feeling though.

I refused to ever take another dose of oral prednisone ... didn't finish that bottle and refused to follow up any future IV steroid treatments with oral steroids. I know both the IV and the oral can have widely differing reactions with different people.

THAT was a tangent, wasn't it? ha. So back to my point, I can relate to what dad must be feeling with that med and am glad that he understands it is the med causing the mood and not something natural to him. He said the next day that he is only taking half of the prescribed dosage. And to round this tale back to it's nose–we'll visit mom and dad this weekend if dad feels like company. :) I'm so glad he's home.


MONDAY [carbs][calories]

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– - - -
BREAKFAST - 3carb/190cal
[1.5carb][235cal ] one-minute flaxseed muffin
[0carb][0cal ] green tea with Stevia

LUNCH - 27carb/610cal
[27carb][610cal ] a slice of Cro's bday cheesecake (low carb)


DINNER - xcarb/xcal
[xcarb][xcal] steak-ums with onions, mushrooms and 2oz swiss cheese

TOTAL xcarb/xcal

5 comments:

  1. Stripes look good on you. Why are we so deathly afraid of stripes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jack. We are likely wary of horizontal stripes because we are told that they make us look fatter. Whatever. :) Personally I've always thought that vertical stripes are the bad ones. I don't think I've ever owned anything other than the horizontal flavor ... they are just more appealing to me. Thicker stripes are better than narrow stripes too (to me).

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the shirt... sorry your dad is all weepie and shit! he'll get better soon im sure...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always like your blog and look forward to reading more of your witty and creative writing! Cute shirt in the pic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back! I hope your pops will feel up to some company this weekend. I'm sure it would do you all good ... if he's feeling alright, med-wise.

    Did you mention how the b-day weekend went? I may have missed it. If so, sorry! I hope it was a weekend for the ages!

    Stripes remind me of Bill Murray. Always a good thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...