Thursday, July 9, 2009

sweet confusion


I have too much work to finish this week to dig in and discover the realities of this ... maybe you guys can help.

With nothing in the fridge nor cabinets to make a quick lunch for work I stopped off at Walgreens to pick up something. I ended up with a box of Atkins shakes, quick glance didn't show the "sugar alcohols" line on the nutritional box, same for a box of Atkins bars. I've noticed that some types of Atkins bars have the dreaded "Sugar Alcohols" line so I avoid buying those now.

On getting to work I wanted to put one of the Atkins shakes in the refrigerator to cool and flipped it over to read the actual ingredient list. A lot of mumbo jumbo that didn't throw up red flags until I got over halfway and there was the word MALTODEXTRIN. Umm, I know Maltitol is a sugar alchohol, is maltodextrin related to that? It makes me sick (angry) that when I try to avoid that stuff it is hidden in the mumbo jumbo. *sigh* If any of you know what maltodextrin is please enlighten me. I'm stuck with it for lunch unless I make a trip out for another unwich at Jimmy Johns.

Thank goodness my healthy drink mix ingredients should be here soon. But not soon enough for lunch today!

On another note ... after a brief search this morning I see that both splenda (non-liquid) AND stevia (non-liquid) contain maltodextrin as a filler?? Maybe I've found the source of my slow loss. :/

A little more searching reveals that maltodextrin has a higher GI than sugar and that it is used by "hard gainers" (people who have trouble gaining weight) to gain. I think I'm going to pick up a turkey lettuce wrap for lunch and maybe take those atkins drinks back to Walgreens.

Lunch solved. :) It's raining so I didn't want to walk out to get a deli lettuce wrap. Then I remembered that there are leftover cold-cuts and cheeses in the company fridge–up for grabs after a client lunch-meeting yesterday. I made a turkey and swiss cheese unwich, no lettuce wrap available but two slices of swiss cheese served well. I'm satisfied and lunch was free!

Thanks guys.

THEIRSDAY's [carbs][calories]
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– - - -
BREAKFAST - 3carb/179cal
[3carb][179cal] LC chocolate muffin
[0][0cal] green tea with stevia

LUNCH - 6carb/659cal
[2carb][94cal ] 1oz American cheese
[3carb][285cal ] 3oz Swiss cheese
[0carb][60cal ] 2oz sliced turkey
[1carb][220cal ] 1oz macadamia nuts
[0][0cal] green tea with stevia

DINNER - 22carb/381cal
[xcarb][60cal] tiny bit of steak
[10carb][51cal] brussels sprouts
[12carb][270cal] LC vanilla ice cream

TOTAL 31carb/1219cal

6 comments:

  1. Maltodextrin is pretty harmless as additives go. Most of the time, it's made from a natural source, so it's easier to digest that a completely manufactured additive. Technically, it's a carbohydrate, usually made from rice, corn, or potato starch, and is produced by cooking down the starch. Used as both a sweetener and thickener.

    I don't think you've got any worries with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Wikipedia - just what Jack said--

    Maltodextrin is a polysaccharide that is used as a food additive. Maltodextrin is easily digestible, being absorbed as rapidly as glucose, and might be either moderately sweet or almost flavorless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow ... you guys are so smart! :) I seriously need to learn this stuff.

    ~Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is why I prefer making my own blends.

    BTW, there are pure stevia products on the market. Let me know if you need any help finding one.

    I love Swiss cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harry, I'd like to find out more about stevia, can you share with me.. or do you have a post about this at Healthy fellow?

    Oct, I love the unwich idea! I wonder if there is a jimmy johns in my town. I see their commercials all the time... but that doesn't mean they are actually in my town.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys ... I'm still afear'd of maltodextrin, but maybe it isn't as big of a deal as I think it might be. Yes Harry, please share your stevia info. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...