Monday, August 17, 2009

Low-carb "Nutella" (hazelnut and cocoa spread)

I experimented yesterday to come up with a low carb and lower calorie version of my newest love, Nutella. Here is what I came up with, but no, it just isn't the same smooth creamy texture. It was still quite delicious, just in a different way.

1.5oz hazelnuts
3 tbsp Hershey's Dark cocoa
3 tbsp erythritol
1 tsp vanilla extract
dash of salt
stevia to taste (I used enough to make this very sweet)

Grind the above together well in a blender then remove to a bowl.

1/4 cup vegetable oil (peanut oil would work even more nicely but I didn't have any)
2 tbsp coconut oil, heated until becomes liquid

Mix both oils into the bowl of dry ingredients.

The total batch measures to about 1cup, so 4 carbs and 1050 calories (eek, eat in moderation)
This works out to less than half a carb and 65.5 calories per tablespoon.

The REAL Nutella spread is 10.5carbs and 100calories per tbsp. My version is a huge reduction in carbs and about half the calories. My version isn't decadent like the original though, I didn't capture that unbelievable silky texture. I may try again sometime. grinding the erythritol to a powder before adding it might help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...