Monday, August 3, 2009

time, you are now my biatch

This work week is to be an exercise in conquering time. Every day is just time, and every morning I weigh, reflecting both how I spent the prior 24hours (under my control) and what my body is up to on it's own (out of my control).

Each time I'm hungry I will think of that weigh-in the next morning. It seems that any little slip of my own control dances straight to the number display mechanism of the scale, gumming it up, preventing it from moving down.

I'm so close to not being fat anymore. The time is now to exert a bit of pressure on those rusty numbers and force them down. I'm surprised that I don't really have the outlook that this is going to be a long five days. It's not. It's just five days. RAWR.

Our company picnic is Sunday. Cro and I plan to leave early Sunday morning and spend a few hours at mom&dad's house before picnic time. Then mom is going to accompany us to the picnic. She's excited. I'm excited. Fun!

Now I just need to look up some great veggy dip options for our carry-in item. Mom is bringing home-made desserts, Cro and I will be bringing a big tray of veggies and dip. I'm not that concerned about eating but I want everyone to enjoy it. I'm thinking three dips would be nice. Some sort of cool sour cream ranch dip, maybe a spicy cheese fondue, and I'm open for suggestions on the third!

Veggie Dip recipe that I might try:

1 cup raw cashews
1/2 ounce cream cheese
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 clove garlic (or 1/8 tsp garlic powder)
1/2 tsp sea salt
dash of dill (optional)
dash of chives (optional)
dried onion pieces (optional)

Mix all in blender until very smooth and creamy. Chill. Serve with veggies to dip.

-----------------------------------------------------------

ooh, this looks good too:
Cream Cheese and Cashew Dip

1 (8-ounce) package soft cream cheese spread, softened
1/2 cup smooth cashew nut butter
2 tablespoons agave nectar (optional)
Cinnamon and/or nutmeg to taste

Blend all ingredients together. Transfer to a bowl and serve with fruits or vegetables of your choice.

-----------------------------------------------------------

A spicy cheese veggie dip that I think I'd love:

8 ounces cream cheese
8 ounces sour cream
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1 teaspoon ground cumin

Combine all ingredients together. Chill for several hours before serving. Serve with raw vegetables.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Chili Almond dip option:

1/4 cup ground almonds
1/2 tsp honey
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 pinch black pepper
1/8 cup water

Blend in food processor until smooth. Chill and serve with veggies for dipping.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Pine nut and feta dip (thanks to anne h for the suggestion)

1 cup creamy feta crumbled
1 cup ricotta
1 spring onion finely chopped
1/4 cup pine nuts lightly toasted and chopped
1/2 clove finely minced garlic
1/2 cup basil leaves thinly sliced
Salt and pepper
Olive oil to taste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.


4 comments:

  1. YUMMY!
    How about a pine nut dip?
    You are so creative - I get hungry every time I come to your excellent and well-written post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anne. I looked up a yummy looking pine nut dip recipe. Let me know if you have a better one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the attitude! A fighting spirit will get you where you're going.

    Funny thing ... Do you know that character that Al Franken used to play on Saturday Night Live - Stuart Smalley? He'd say things like:

    "That's just stinkin' thinkin!"

    "You're should-ing all over yourself."

    "It's easier to put on slippers than to carpet the entire world."

    Thank you Wikipedia.

    Well, as corny as his catchphrases were ... it still reminds me, in a funny way, of how important it is to keep a focused and positive perspective.

    Look where it got Al ... he's a US Senator! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I remember some of those skits. Funny!

    ReplyDelete

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...