Monday, August 24, 2009

wa-wa

Help with hydration.

You'd think that getting enough fluid intact would be simple, but I'm learning lots about how I've been neglecting this very important simplicity for years.

Drinking pop (soda, soft drink, diet drink, whatever you call it) might not be providing the hydration the body needs. I've read conflicting reports on this subject but the safest bet I can pull from all the information is to drink most of your fluids in pure unadulterated H2O.

In learning that dehydration can interfere with weight loss, the subject has my full attention.

Eight 8 ounce glasses of water daily seems to be the popular recommendation. I drink less than that in diet drinks so it's going to be tough to add that much more fluid. It's also recommended to introduce the water gradually rather than in large infrequent amounts. The body apparently processes it gradually so prefers to receive it slow and steady rather than in buckets all at once followed by hours of drought. *sigh* The body is so darned picky!

Ok, so I will have a big glass of water with each meal, that takes care of three. I'll have another two glasses between meals - one mid-morning and another one mid-afternoon. And finally a big glass of water before bed. That gets me to 6 glasses of pure water per day. That is much better than the zero which I normally have. In addition I'll likely have my morning shake (4oz of water in that) 3 or 4 cans of pop during the day, a cup of green tea and an 8oz glass of iced tea.

Yeah, I'm going to be peeing lots!

5 comments:

  1. Drinking water instead of diet soda helps with my headaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your body will adjust to the extra water. when my urologist told me to drink a gallon of water a day, I thought I'd be running to the potty every two minutes. I did at first, but then I got used to it I guess, now I only run to the potty every three minutes.

    *hehe*


    Just kidding, I don't run to the potty anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be following your H2O experiement with interest, Oct!

    Did you by chance catch my recent column about water and weight loss? If not, you might find it to be of interest:

    http://www.healthyfellow.com/327/water-weight-loss/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spend half my day walking to the bathroom...but it's worth it, I feel so much better when I drink enough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm excited to see if this introduction of drinking water will make a difference. I'm positive that it will be good for me even if it doesn't effect the scale. Harry, I read your water article this morning along with the water exercise and sour tea articles. You are such a wealth of great information!!!

    Thanks all. Going to fill up my water glass again right now.

    ReplyDelete

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...