Sunday, October 25, 2009

Jicama shoestring fries with horseradish dip (recipes and photos)

I attempted to make shoestring fries out of one of my medium jicama and to make horseradish dip to accompany them. They turned out VERY delish (which is a surprising treat considering that I made it all myself). Below are a few photos followed by the technique used and recipe for the dip. Very worth a try!

Jicama shoestring fries:
* Peel the jicama and slice into "shoestring" fries (very thin slices, see photo).
* Heat oil (I used peanut oil) to 350 degrees, I didn't have a candy thermometer so I just guessed when it was ready by putting one jicama slice in the oil and waiting until it looked ready.
* Carefully add a portion of the jicama shoestrings with a slotted spoon, let them stay in the oil for a few minutes until browned and then remove them to paper towels to soak up the oil.
* Sprinkle with a mixture of spices. I used paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, ground black pepper and ground sea salt ... oh and a tiny bit of chili powder.
* Eat. Yum!

Horseradish dip:
* 1/2 cup of sour cream
* 1 tsp prepared horseradish (you can buy it prepared)
* dash of lemon juice
* dash of paprika
* dash of onion powder
* dash of garlic powder
* dash of sea salt
mix and let rest in the fridge for 20ish minutes so that the flavors are the best.
* Dip your jicama fries and eat. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. Those look really good! I love jicama, but have never cooked it. Were they crunchy like a french fry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were crunchy and yummy. :) I've read that they don't get soft in the middle like potato fries if thicker cut. Shoestring style was highly recommended. They can also be eaten raw. I tried one raw and it wasn't bad. I preferred them fried over raw though. I may try the next batch baked.

    ReplyDelete

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...