Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Happy Eyes

My "Most Memorable Christmas Gift" story is below. I'd love to hear yours too.

My best Christmas surprise was when my horse Buster was born. It wasn't Christmas day but it was close enough. To everyone's surprise Buster was born snow white with pink skin and light blue eyes – an albino. Needless to say my little sister who was too young to ride a horse was jealous of my new best buddy ... until mom and dad gave in and bought her a pony.
--------------

What a difference a day makes! And I only wish I knew what caused my eyes to swell yesterday. I dunno, but after reading that article explaining after-LASIK astigmatism I'm pretty sure it was astigmatism aggravated by swelling (edima) and that the swelling is gone as of this morning because I CAN FLIPPIN' SEE! Odd that almost everything that goes wrong with me can be controlled by controlling inflamation ... MS especially. I've been taking lots of ibuprofen and trying to remember the vitamins that I used to take that had anti-inflammatory properties. Maybe I'll google that in a bit.

Let's see ... below is the wikipedia entry:

Food

Some advocate the consumption of anti-inflammatory foods as a means of controlling inflammation. A typical anti-inflammatory diet includes a well-balanced, varied diet that is high in vegetables and low in refined carbohydrates and undesirable fats, such as saturated fats and trans fats[17]. Anti-inflammatory foods include most colorful fruits and vegetables, oily fish (which contain higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids), nuts, seeds, and certain spices, such as ginger. Extra virgin olive oil contains a chemical oleocanthal that acts similarly to ibuprofen. Those following an anti-inflammatory diet will avoid refined oils and sugars, and show a preference for so-called anti-inflammatory foods in their meal choices.[18]

A diet high in vegetables and low in refined carbohydrates and saturated and trans fats may enhance the creation of prostaglandins. There are three main types of prostaglandins: PG-E1 and PG-E3, which have an anti-inflammatory properties, and PG-E2, which promotes inflammation.[19]



It's almost Christmas which means 4-day weekend. Woot!

3 comments:

  1. My mother-in-law has very severe arthritis and I've only just discovered anti-inflammatory foods... I will try to find out more for her as she doesn't always help herself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know what you find out Patsy. My mom has rheumatoid arthritis and is very interested in what I say about low carb and how it has helped my MS ... she just can't commit to LC though. She fights her arthritis by running 5 miles a day ... I WISH I could commit to that so I guess she and I are even in not being able to do everything right.

    Have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...