Tuesday, January 5, 2010

pain for no gain - 190.2

Frustrated that I'm still 190 with an added .2 I decided on a whim to stop in at Walgreens and pick up a blood glucose monitor this morning. I just want to see what it could be that is causing the problem.

After testing it out this morning, 1 hour after finishing my normal breakfast of protein shake, my blood glucose is 94. Since I didn't test before I had the shake I don't know what my "before eating" level is yet. I know it is supposed to be higher an hour after a meal so I'm curious what it will be at about 11ish am. From what I've read, normal glucose level is between 70 and 150. Well, here is what I read from some random website ("ezine articles" I think):

Normal glucose levels fall between 70 and 150 mg. Levels typically are lower in the morning, and rise after meals. Blood sugar levels falling consistently above 150 are indicative of hyperglycemia, or high blood sugar. Chronic low levels, falling below 70, characterize hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar. Hypoglycemia is a potentially fatal condition. Symptoms of this condition are lethargy, impaired mental functioning, irritability and loss of consciousness. Persistent hyperglycemia results in diabetes mellitus, which is the most common disease related to blood sugar regulation failure. Diabetes can cause eye, kidney and nerve damage.

I don't think I'll be able to stand testing my blood glucose levels every day. I empathize with diabetics who have to. The stinging in my little finger is just one more good reason to not let crappy eating drive me to become a diabetic. Owy fingertip!

LASIK news: I kept my eyes very hydrated by using the drops every hour that I was awake (at least awake with eyes open. I noticed the ghosting was much less by 2:30pm yesterday and it was much MUCH less on the drive to work this morning. You have no idea how excited I am that I have the answer to reducing the ghosting, that it really is somewhat in my control, and that I'm pretty confident that it will not be a permanent issue. Yay eyes. Left eye is not ghosting at all right now and right eye only has one ghost that is close to the level of what I had in the better eye yesterday.
I love my eye droppies!! My eyes are soooo much better now. YAY!

I watched Borat last night and don't know what to say other than LOL. Cro loved its caught on camera practical joke aspects. It was insane. :) And funny. And INSANE.

Blood glucose at 10:40 is 86. This is over 3 hours without eating. Taking fingertip blood hurts. :o

Blood glucose half an hour after lunch is 94. LOL, I stabbed the side of my index finger as I was trying to load up a new lancet into the finger-pricking device. Well, no need to jab myself again now, I just used the already bleeding finger. Interesting that my blood sugar rose to the same level as my after-breakfast level. I guess a rise of 8 means that my lunch was right on track and didn't raise my blood sugar too much. Painful to learn this but very interesting. I'll have to test again half an hour after I finish dinner and that Atkins chocolate treat tonight.

Blood glucose 45 minutes after I ate dinner was 94. I guess my body likes that number. I know I do. :)

9 comments:

  1. Oct - when I go over ~ about 75 g of protein, I tend to gain.
    I am only 5'2" and I guess I just don't need so much protein. Especially when I am not weight-training to add bulk to my (already) incredibly muscular physique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. anne - I will definitely keep that in mind. I had those sausage balls last night so maybe that extra protein prevented my expected loss. I'm 5'3" ... go shorties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, they say that excess protein turns into glucose, via gluconeogenisis. It is stored as fat, if not used. So they say. Then a few months later, they say something else. 75G seems to be the magic cut off for me, unless I am doing a protein fast with shakes alone.
    Once you blogged (way back in the summer) that you ate an Atkins bar, but you wondered and/or doubted that it only had so few g of carbs. I wonder, too! Care to shed some blood on the situation, and stick your finger again - for the sake of science? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I plan to test my blood a half an hour after dinner tonight, which will include an Atkins peanut butter cup. I'll be sure to share the result!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yesss!! Oct is doing science experiments on herself! Seriously, I can't wait for the results of the Atkins bar.

    Dang, you two are shorties, anne and oct!! I feel like an awkward 5'10'' over here!

    BTW, where did you get the Atkins peanut butter cup, Oct??

    ~angie

    ReplyDelete
  6. ??
    ⒹⓄ ⓉⒺⓁⓁ what the magic numbers were?

    ReplyDelete
  7. LCD - I can find them at Kroger in the diet stuff section. I have started buying all that they have because they taste awesome and they are often sold out. Now I have at least 5 boxes stocked in my cupboard so I was really hoping that they don't elevate my blood sugar too much. AND THEY DIDN'T! :D

    anne - 45 minutes after I finished dinner I tested my blood sugar. It was 94 ... shocked the heck out of me because I was almost sure the Atkins treat (with sugar alcohols even!) would have spiked my sugar higher. I'm very happy, but I still resolve not to go crazy with those things. One a day is enough (but hard to keep to because they are so good and they say 2carbs each. My mind keeps trying to talk me into having another one ... it's a battle).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I once attended a brou-haha at Jimmy's blog.
    Two bully guys swore to Atkins that these awful, horrible molecules DID raise Blood Sugar.
    So I did the finger stick thing. I think JM did it too.
    Turns out, all they raised was BS, but not FSBS via glucometer!
    (Finger Stick Blood Sugar)

    ReplyDelete
  9. anne - I hate getting involved in debates with bullies like that. I just think, "so don't eat it and leave me alone". I'm never certain about things and am always searching to learn more though. Sometimes things that people swear work for them don't work for me so I try to take the "your mileage may vary" approach. :P Very cool to learn that you and Jimmy didn't have a problem with the Atkins bars either.

    ReplyDelete

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...