Friday, January 22, 2010

What have I done??? - 189

I went for my first of two personal training sessions last night and was so impressed by the little bit of knowledge shared with me in that first 30 minutes that I allowed myself to be signed up for a year of personal training. Eek. It costs $30 a month. Add that to my gym membership of $25 a month and factor in all of the signup fees and the twice-a-year gym maintenance fees and it all comes to almost $80 per month for the next year. Add to that my LASIK monthly payments and I've spent way too much on my personal health and appearance for the year. It's like a car payment!

*sigh*

Well, nothing to do about it now other than to get the very most out of it that I can. So, in that frame of mind I have one personal trainer session each week for the next 6 weeks and then it changes to once a month for the remainder of the year. My first workout with the trainer will be next Wednesday at 6pm.

You may be wondering what it was that made this decision for me. It was when the trainer told me that cardio is not going to help me lose weight. He said that cardio is great for a lot of things but that it isn't great for boosting metabolism. If all I do is cardio I'll be healthier for sure, but my weight loss isn't likely to resume until I am strength training.

Great, so all that excitement I had about doing 11 miles on the recumbent bike in 31 minutes and having worked out cardio for three days in a row isn't as exciting as I thought.

So, my personal trainer, Jacob, is going to teach me what to do (I know NOTHING about what to do in strength training) and he is going to monitor my progress. He knows that I have multiple sclerosis and is going to build routines for me each month that will allow me to be successful even with the limitation of no balance and my foot drop issue. I am excited to have someone who knows what he is doing on hand to guild my efforts. Jacob is also going to help with my nutrition so it's cool that I've kept a food diary for so long ... he is going to require that I start tracking calories again too. My own goal is no more than 30 net carbs a day and Jacob wants me to start out at 1200 calories a day.

He'll be taking my measurements and tracking my progress to customize things as we go.

Okay, enough about that for now ... you'll be hearing lots more about it after Wednesday night. I hope this is the key to my reaching the 150's. THAT will make it worth the nearly $500 investment.

My other big investment–my eyes–is a great investment too. I can see without glasses or contacts and will never need that crutch again (unless I am injured, lol ... not funny). And I take that back, I might need reading glasses when I get older but that happens to everyone. Oh, and sunglasses! but I love sunglasses. The ghosting is almost resolved and though still is annoying somedays it will be gone soon I'm sure.

In other news, Matt fell and broke his arm Wednesday night. He was walking to his car after working late and slipped on an icy parking lot. He must have fallen pretty darned hard. He broke his humerus (upper arm bone) clean in half and is now in a cast from shoulder to wrist. He was asking on his facebook yesterday if anyone has ideas on how to put on a shirt over such a large and cumbersome cast. Lots of people made jokes about how breaking your humerus is not humorous. :P

4 comments:

  1. It's only money, right?
    And of course, Oct, you are worth the investment!
    Ouch on the arm, too. I broke my radial head, and yes the humerus is not a funny bone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I knew that there absolutely would not be any emergencies in the next year I wouldn't worry about my savings so much. :) No, breaking your humerus is not humorous. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it seems like a lot, but you're making a big investment in your healthy future. I think you're going to see a world of benefit that will last you far beyond the next 12 months.

    On the other hand, I advise you to simply slam the door on any Girl Scout cookie salesgirls that show up at your door. You're an easy mark! You'll wind up with a pantry full of Thin Mints!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think $500 is a good self investment and ouch on Matty's arm, poor guy. It must really suck rotten eggs that he has to figure out how to put a coat on over a bulky cast.

    ReplyDelete

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...