Thursday, February 18, 2010

Just Another Thursday

My workout last night was tough. My trainer started me off doing things that challenged my balance. He just doesn't get what MS means for my balance. My balance isn't compromised because of my muscles ... it is because my nerves are stripped of the coating that keeps the signals traveling to their destination. The more heat in my body, the faster thing circulates and the less signals actually get there.

I asked if there was an alternate exercise that would work out the same muscles but not put me at risk of falling over. Having to ask that makes me feel like a failure until I get home and Cro (former body builder) tells me that there are always alternate exercises and that I shouldn't be embarrassed to ask.

Anyway, here is the new things that Jacob introduced to my arsenal of strength training options last night. He did tell me that I could start picking the ones that I do and don't have to do the same ones each time.

- Stagger Squats (he initially had me holding a weight above my head while doing these but changed it to be with no weights when it became apparent that I would fall after doing only five reps) - 2 sets of 7 reps

- French Press - 2 sets of 15 reps with a 12lb weight (he had to modify so I do mine on a bench rather than the *un*stability ball


- Medicine Ball Arcs - 2 sets of 16 reps

- Wall Squats - 3 sets of 12 reps


- Yoga Ball Rollouts - 2 sets of 10 reps


In other news I am ultra-depressed today. I miss my dad and it seems that mom is distant

7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you're missing your dad so desperately today. It would have been my dad's 73rd birthday today... My missing him is more wistful now than the heart-squeezing, throat-burning pain of when he first died... My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Patsy. Thank you for sharing that today would be your dad's 73rd. I hope that they somehow know we will never forget and will always hold that love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart, too, Oct.
    The pain is so real....because the love was so real...IS so real....
    Good to keep training - a good dose of endorphins would be OK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speak up! This isn't a one-size-fits-all plan. You can customize your workout in a million different ways. I had to make a special workout because I suffered from something my PT called "girly muscles"...

    ReplyDelete
  5. anne - I agree ... endorphins are a good thing.

    Jack - oh I spoke up :) more than once. I just felt like a loser having to do so. *wondering what your girly muscles are ... maybe tmi*

    ReplyDelete
  6. ya know, my trainer had me do all those ball exercises too and I loved them. I am impatiently waiting for the book business to sell out because I am turning the book space into a little home gym... that's my goal anyway. ball squats killed me the first time I did them and I couldn't walk much less sit for days afterwards... It was awful but really funny. My trainer felt really bad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh and I agree with Jack, don't feel bad for ahving to speak up. Your trainer should knwo the difference in someone who is whining and someone who is giving it her all but has challenges. When I had a trainer I made sure I did everything she asked without being the fat whiney girl. After a couple of sessions she learned what I could and couldn't do, but still challenged me. I miss her. I'm going to have to find her email.

    ReplyDelete

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...