Thursday, February 11, 2010

Training Hurts! - 190

I had my personal training session last night and my trainer (Jacob) introduced me to several new strength training exercises. One of which showed me just how deficient I am in the ab muscle department. That exercise involved being flat on the floor with arms outstretched to the sides then lifting a large stability ball between my feet then rotating my hips to each side while clamping that ball continuously with my feet. I'll try to find a video because I can't even picture it from my own explanation.

Embarrassingly I was not able to lift that stupid ball at all ... and we are talking an inflatable stability ball, not a weighted ball. I became so frustrated with trying to lift it unsuccessfully that I know I was close to tears. Probably due to recent circumstances as well.

Anyway, Jacob thankfully stepped me back to a more simple exercise and promised that we would build up to being able to do the ball and countered my embarrassment by stating that it was his fault for not gauging my ability first. What a nice guy.

So my simple exercise is to lift my legs while lying flat on my back with arms spread to the sides. I even had trouble doing those but I did them with a determined grimace. :P

I'm to do the new routine that I've listed below twice this week and the former strength routine once this week and fill in the off days with cardio. Jacob claims that the cardio is key for fat burning (Kirk, the trainer who sold me on the need for regular sessions had me believing that cardio does nothing for weight loss, hmm). Well, I don't understand it all yet so I'll spend my time doing what the trainer says and learning the moves and how to use all of the equipment that he introduces. I'm liking the training thing even though it is tough as hell.

Here is my new strength training routine:
• Machine 33 - Leg Curls - 55lbs - 2 sets of 15 slow reps
• Machine 41 - Hip Abductors. 70lbs - 2 sets of 8 flutters followed by 3 squeezes
• Roman Chair (omg scary chair!!!) - 1 set of 10 reps
• Machine 4 - Chest Press - 10lbs - 2 sets of 15 reps
• Leg lifts - 3 sets of 8 reps

This is the closest thing I could find to what the trainer wanted me to do. He was also lifting the stability ball higher and twisting from side to side.




This is the scary Roman Chair:


And here is my original routine that I still have to do once this week:
• Machine 8 - Squats - 25lbs - 3 sets of 15 reps
• Bosu Ab Jacks - 2 sets of 15 reps
• Accordion Crunches - 25lbs - 2 sets of 15 reps
• Machine 6 - Rowing - 35lbs - 2 sets of 15 reps
• Machine 2 - Lat Pull - 30lbs - 2 sets of 16 reps

No comments:

Post a Comment

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...