Friday, April 2, 2010

Good bugs?

An article by one of the authors in my blogroll has me intrigued. Most of it is over my head and will require much more reading but the gist of it seems to be that certain "bugs" could be introduced into the body which will alter the immune system's over-activity in instances of autoimmune disease such as multiple sclerosis (which I have). If any of you better understand this I would love to know if there is anything I can do on my own to get these bugs working for me. :)

*edit ... EWW! I think I'll wait for someone to mimic the same thing in a non-wormy form. I just Googled "helminth" and OMG gross!

Here are links to some articles discussing this topic:

Helminths, Oligosaccharides and Immunotolerance

Parasitic helminths: a pharmacopeia of anti-inflammatory molecules

Mapping immune response profiles: The emerging scenario from helminth immunology

2 comments:

  1. Howdy, Oct!

    Here's something that might be a little more appealing - (sensible) sunlight exposure, not just added Vitamin D:

    http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2010/03/02/1001119107.abstract

    No sun burns! But perhaps a little more time in the sun or light therapy if your doctor feels it may be worth trying.

    I hope you and Cro have a joyful Easter. My best to you both!

    JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi JP. Thank you for the article link. :) Sunlight is great for me ... I don't even have an office with a window here at work though. I look forward to my little daily walk at noonish though! Easter was very quiet for us, but nice to spend time together. I hope you and Mad had a nice evening (I know from your blog that you had to spend most of the day apart but maybe that made the evening even more special).

    ReplyDelete

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...