Tuesday, September 7, 2010

the lyre bird sounds like a chainsaw

when it wants too (Google Lyre bird, they are cool).

4-day week! :D I promised myself that I'd have no more than 20 carbs per day today through Thursday and have no Dreamfield's until Friday. Another exercise in restraint. I need it because I've been chewing sugarfree gum like crazy, aspartame be damned. And yeah, my MS has been aggravated and i can TELL when I'm poisoning myself. :( Limpy, weak and cranky just because I'm PO'd that I can't eat whatever I want and that sugarfree gum poisons me. :( I have to stop kidding myself.

Cro made his wonderful North Carolina BBQ over the holiday weekend. When I think of BBQ I think of the sugary tomato-based Indiana style BBQ. His version is nothing like that and took a good while before I started to like it.

First he soaked some wood chips in a vacuum packed bag for a few hours. Next he heated up the charcoal grill and put the woodchips on to smoke. A huge boston butt pork loin joined the party for several hours to slow cook on the grill and then a few more hours in the oven. Then he chopped and pulled it. The spices he used were apple cider vinegar, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt. I read that some people add a bit of brown sugar but Cro's recipe does not include that. He has never written down a recipe and rather just learned how to make it over time and trial, but he listed what he puts into it for me.

I made attempted a batch of low-carb Nanaimo bars yesterday. They turned out yummy but I decided not to add a chocolate ganache so it's more like a pudding than bars. Maybe I'll finish them and top them off with a ganache tonight.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Today's Meals:

Breakfast - 3carb
[0 carb] tiny bit of NC bbq
[3 carb] almonds

Lunch - 0carb
[0 carb] North Carolina bbq

Dinner - 9carb
[0 carb] North Carolina bbq
[7 carb] low carb tortilla
[2 carb] Atkins PB cup

Total 12 carbs

2 comments:

  1. I am on the "I want what I want when I want it diet" sometimes.
    About the bbq - any recipe posts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this recipe is very close to what Cro makes. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/40-a-day/eastern-north-carolina-barbecue-recipe/index.html

    It's very goo. I wish I could be on an "I want what I want when I want it diet" ... well I have the wanting part down, I just can't "EAT what I want when I want it" or I'll be as big as a very big thing.

    ReplyDelete

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...