Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Wednesday is a great day for Pumpkin Muffins!

Above is a pic of one of my tasty pumpkin muffin creations. Oop, the ones I brought in to work are all gone and so you'll have to check the link below to see what they should look like. Here's a pic of my oopsy&cheese sandwich from last week instead. :P

I adapted this recipe to be more low-carb and yet still very delicious. I used mostly pecan meal (I ground it myself) and a small bit of Carbquik rather than the flour. I also used liquid stevia and a bit of Truvia (granulated Stevia and Erythitol) rather than sugar. They turned out fabulous!

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins

Filling:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup Truvia

Muffin batter:
2 cups pecan meal, 1 cup Carbquik
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
4 large eggs
1 cup Truvia, several drops liquid stevia
2 cups pumpkin puree
1¼ cups vegetable oil

Topping:
1/4 cup Truvia
5 tbsp pecan meal
1½ tsp. ground cinnamon
4 tbsp. cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces



Directions:
Prepare the filling and place in fridge (I left it in the bowl.)

Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.  Make your muffin cups ready to fill (or you could conceivably bake this in cake or bread form). Mix together pecan meal, Carbquick, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, pumpkin pie spice, salt and baking soda and set aside.  In a separate bowl use blender to mix eggs, Truvia (or the sugar sub of your preference), pumpkin puree and oil. Once mixed well, add the dry ingredients a little bit at a time.

Mix the Truvia, pecan meal (I actually used almond meal for the crumb topping because I used all of my pecans for the batter) and cinnamon in a small bowl.  Cut in slices of the very cold butter until the mixture is crumbly. Place in fridge.

Now the fun ... Drop spoonful of batter into each muffin cup to cover the bottom. Spoon a bit of the cream cheese mixture into the center then fill the rest of the muffin cups with more batter.  Retrieve your topping mixture from the fridge and sprinkle a bit on the top of each.

Bake for 20-25 minutes. Mine took more like 35 minutes so check and adjust ... keep in mind that the centers contain cream cheese so the knife will never come out clean if you poke them to test. The centers of these muffins will be molten hot so let cool a bit before you eat!!! Unless you have a thing for eating hot lava.

Another single meal day on my modified alternate day fast.


*update
HA, my boss left a comment on the bottom of my "Pumpkin Muffins" post-it note label. :)

--------------------------------------

BREAKFAST
nothing

LUNCH [13 carbs]
[10 carbs] pumpkin cream cheese muffin
[3 carbs] 3 sausage balls

DINNER
nothing

Total 13 carbs

3 comments:

  1. poor sausage! you ate his balls! mmmm muffins nomnomnomnom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ... it's a Paula Deen recipe too. They were goood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And just like that
    *poof* they are gone!
    The muffins, that is.

    ReplyDelete

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...