Sunday, February 27, 2011

Confused about protein

I found among more reading about this 4-Hour Body eating plan that I should be having between 20 and 30 grams of protein per meal - yay, a reason to use my new food scale! So I cooked ground beef and lined up several small Tupperware containers. Then I weighed 30grams of the cooked ground beef into each container and was appalled at how small a 30g portion is. But that gave me hope that this week would show results that I'd been missing due to unwittingly eating more protein than recommended.  Then Cro walked by and I told him all about it.

Um, I guess 30 grams of protein weighs at least three times as much as 30 grams on the scale. What?? So confusing. So I looked up a conversion chart and sure enough 30 grams of protein has nothing to do with 30 grams of weight.

If understand this correctly (and believe me, I am confused)
4oz of ground beef equals about 28 grams of protein but weighs 112 grams.
Since I was weighing 30 grams per serving, each of my servings had only 7ish grams of protein.

Chicken is a whole different set of numbers. RAWR!!!!
4oz of chicken breast weighs 112g on the scale but equals about 35g of protein??
so it's about 9g of protein per 28g of weight??

I'm really REALLY confused. Why can't a gram of protein always weigh a gram?

Anyway, since it is confusing and requires a conversion chart and that's a lot of bull to deal with I'm going to do what Cro suggested and x3 everything. So roughly 90 grams of whateva-meat = 30 grams of protein in my simplified and slightly incorrect world.

Since I'd already packaged up what I'd cooked with a small portion of broccoli and cauliflower and a little less than a quarter cup of beans per serving, I just cooked another package of ground beef and added about 60 more grams to each container and called it good.

I still feel great about this since I wasn't measuring at all for the last 2 weeks and only just yesterday discovered that I should be shooting for 20-30g of protein, a quarter cup of legumes and cruciferous veggies. I think I was eating more than 30 grams of protein per meal and was using onions rather than cruciferous veggies like broccoli, cauliflower. brussels sprouts, cabbage, turnips ...

On to a new week of more clarified(really??) rules. :)

9am 
(no photo but same thing as below without any beans).
ground beef, broccoli & cauliflower

12am
ground beef, red beans, broccoli & cauliflower

4:00pm
ground beef, red beans, broccoli & cauliflower
7:00pm
ground beef, red beans, broccoli & cauliflower

2 comments:

  1. Well, I agree, I'm confused too. Thinking about it a bit more, though, it makes sense. Beef is not just protein, it is fat, water, and whatever other things are in there. Thanks for pointing this out.

    Yup, I didn't have a great week, but again, I'm pleased that with all the stuff going on, I still lost, even if it was just a little bit. Let's hang in there together! It's nice to have a blog friend on the same program! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know - it looks like a small amount.
    In my protein fast, I recently had 30 (about)
    grams of protein 6 times a day.... and very little else.
    Protein mix.
    Every 3 hours. That's really just 120 calories - times 6 even!

    And it's good to just eat 90 grams of meat.... don't "they
    recommend 3 ounces of meat, anyways?
    Glad all is well for you!

    ReplyDelete

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...