Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Glug

I've shed the fourth pound of that 5lb free day debacle. I'm 208 today and can see the 100's on the horizon again. I'm actually feeling a little closer to the me of last summer and though it will take until late fall to get there (at this rate), I know I'm getting there.

I withstood the ultra cold shower for about 35 seconds this morning. I dreaded it the entire time I was having my comfy hot shower but I stopped languishing in the heat and got the courage to go cold at the end. I distinctly remember saying to myself "here comes the pain" before I cut off the hot water. BRRRR!!! I don't really want to think about doing this every morning for the rest of my life. Maybe it will get easier with time. I don't know if it's responsible for the seeming faster weight loss this week (4 pounds in 4 days) but it's certainly not hurting anything. I do feel FULLY AWAKE after enduring 30+ seconds of a c-c-cold shower. Who needs caffeine?

I'm having nearly the same meals as yesterday, measured to be exactly the same. The difference is that I'm out of bacon and so plan to have another protein shake at dinner. The shakes I'm using now (recommended by Grace) are very quick to mix. Water and 1 scoop of egg protein mix, stir and drink. These have allowed me to get in the 4HB protein requirement (well, 24g of it) within 30 minutes of waking and have simplified my morning routine lots. They don't taste bad either ... not chalky and not in need of additional sweetener.

I mowed the front and back lawn yesterday evening, trying to beat the threatened rain storm that never arrived. At the very end of my mowing adventure I got poor JD (the John Deer lawn tractor) stuck! After assessing the situation and getting off the mower to push and pull to no avail I sent Cro a text letting him know what I'd done and that it should be fine until he got home since it was too stuck to be easily stolen. He texted back that he would be on his way home to take care of it and didn't want me to get hurt. I guess that's one way to get my guy home by 8:30pm. He said he was planning to leave within half an hour anyway so hopefully I didn't mess up his work day too much.

It was amazing how fast he unstuck what I'd found to be unstuckable. He then took care of edging an overgrown median between our house and the neighbor before he had dinner. Thank you honey. You work too hard!

The fire hydrant in front of my office building is unattended and pouring out water. Since they are doing major construction of the city's new cultural trail all along that sidewalk maybe it is on purpose. Draining the line or something. We were told that the office water would be shut off from 6-9am this morning. Small anomalies that defy the normalcy of the day are interesting in the world of 9-5 (whoever coined the term 9-5 certainly wasn't from an economy such as this one ... 7-7 is more accurate). Anyway, I tried the water machine and was happy to be able to fill my 20oz bottle. I'm good for this morning. *update. The water is back on and it's brown!!!



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Today's meals total 74.44 protein (60-90 grams per day is ideal for me) and 11 carbs

 5:30am
egg white protein shake (24 protein)
probiotic supplement (1carb) 

10am
60g sirloin (13.22 protein)
1/8 cup red beans (4 carbs)
1/2 serving broccoli (1 carb)

3pm
60g sirloin (13.22 protein)
1/8 cup red beans (4 carbs)
1/2 serving broccoli (1 carb)


 7pm
egg white protein shake (24 protein)

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard that about a cold shower being conducive to fat-burning, but I guess it makes sense. I used to do it all the time with three daughters taking 45-minute showers... by the time I got in there, cold water was all that was left. But then I got a tankless water heater and I've put the freezing shower behind me. And now you're telling me I should rethink that. Grrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have more daughters. :D

    I guess the theory behind cold being conducive to weight loss is that the body will work extra hard to maintain it's core temperature. I understand the theory, I just don't know if it makes that much difference. How much harder does my body really have to work to warm me up after a cold shower when I live in a warm house and wear warm clothes and it's almost summer? It is good for waking you the hell up though.

    For body builders I know cold is good to reduce inflammation in stressed muscles.

    For MS it's also great because it reduces inflammation and keeps my nerve signals going slower (so they don't jump out of the demyelinated areas so much).

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know, I might have to really try that cold shower thing. I took a lukewarm shower today and by the time I got dressed I was sweating and red because it was so hot in the apartment. That might help. I hate it when my makeup melts off before I leave the house.

    "It's good for waking you the hell up" <-- I love that line!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe we are starting the Polar Blog Club! I think they are probably good for me but wow it's shocking to stand under cold water. Makes me shiver to think about it. I guess I don't need to wake the hell up until tomorrow morning comes around.

    ReplyDelete

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...