Friday, May 20, 2011

green & crunchy

I went to the grocery last night and remembered that I have been wanting to try roasted kale. Kale reportedly becomes ultra crunchy when rubbed with olive oil, sprinkled with sea salt and roasted. The reports are true. It's not only crunchy but also very delicate. The "green" taste didn't leave the batch that I roasted but it was still good. Too delicate to dip unless the dip is very runny but I wasn't going to dip it anyway. Crunch. Crunch. Crunch. It's a novelty but unless the nutrition panel says it contains something good that I'm not getting elsewhere I probably won't buy it often. I have a mostly full large bag of the stuff so I'll probably have roasted kale for several days. I added some to my already prepared lunch containers today since I thought it might wilt and made extra to compensate. It didn't wilt all that much.

Sadly I tried a tiny piece to see if it was still crunchy after being in the fridge all night. It is, but it's also slightly bitter now. Most of it may get pushed aside so I can eat the broccoli, cauliflower and protein.

I dreamt that several of my highschool classmates showed up. One of them was in a bit of distress over a bullying incident he had suffered. After he left the room I wanted to follow and console him but couldn't remember his name. He was one of those kids whose parents moved a lot so I didn't get to know him well. I looked to one of the others for a name and they reminded me that his name was "Oreo". lol ... in the dream it made perfect sense that his name was Oreo but after I woke I had a "what the hell was that?!?" moment. :P I'm happy to report that dream Oreo responded well to my pep talk and all is well. No idea what I said other than relating how my best friend in high school wanted to beat me up for bending to a teacher's interrogation for "Who pulled the fire alarm?". I'm sorry Dee ... I couldn't take that bright light any longer! lol

It's Friday!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Today's meals total 75.44 protein (60-90 grams per day is ideal for me) and 14 carbs

5:30am
egg white protein shake (24 protein)
probiotic supplement (1carb) 


10:30am
60g sirloin (13.22 protein)
broccoli, cauliflower &  kale (6.5 carbs)


3pm 
60g sirloin (13.22 protein)
broccoli, cauliflower &  kale (6.5 carbs)


7pm
bacon (25 protein)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 comments:

  1. the kale looks delicious... ;) how ya been ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was interesting. I think roasted broccoli is much more to my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hub roasted some kale a few months ago, it was good as long as you got it very crispy. But it was a lot of work and you're right, it didn't hold up very well. And the ones that didn't get really crispy had kind of a weird texture.

    Maybe you are craving Oreos and should have some on your cheat day! :)

    BTW, thanks for your comment on my last post. I'm feeling a bit better today, and I know as time goes by the memory will recede and not feel quite so traumatic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I ended up ditching what I'd added to my lunch meals. It doesn't hold up well overnight.

    I think you are right regarding the Oreos. I just found it hilarious that they sneak into my dreams as someone's name. Crazy.

    I'm glad you are feeling a little better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made this look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would have been more wonderful if the kale was just out of the oven rather than refrigerated overnight. I'm becoming a veggy addict.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I eat kale all the time....I like to get the baby kale, chop it up, and throw it into my daily 'chili' just a minute or so before eating. It cooks super fast, and I want it still 'al dente' so it has some crunch but is hot. Makes a great addition to the beans and protein!

    I also use frozen whole leaf spinach a lot! I buy a couple bags at a time to keep stocked up.

    I'm starting up my 4HB blog as well.....will get things going with pics and journaling today!

    Tom
    http://4hbbkk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have to look for baby kale. I checked out your blog. Wow, great progress, congrats!

    ReplyDelete

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...