Friday, June 24, 2011

Everything is relative

Had my hair chopped and highlighted last night. My hair dresser is a sweety. He is two months from completing an accelerated degree in medical assisting and has high hopes for an easier future. The price of his degree was roughly $16k, is 9-months total study and he claims the lowest possible starting salary in Indiana is $27k. Average range starting salary is in the mid 30s. I hope it works out for him because it does sound too good to be true. I asked if the career field was in danger of over-saturation and he said that there is a shortage of qualified people and projected to be a shortage for a long while.

The shortage is of experienced medical assistants though. I know it's tempting for lots of people to go for something like that since our economy is crap. It's sort of a shiny life-preserver seen on the horizon. I wonder if it's a mirage though. It makes me angry that some institutions make empty promises (such as 100% placement after graduation that turns out to be an offer of painting houses). They are preying upon the hopeful and the desperate in the name of boosting admissions.

No I didn't express all of this negativity to him. :) I think he's got a great chance to be successful at this. He's had more than 9 months of training since he's taken classes in this field of study before, it's been a major interest of his for years, and has been doing loads of social work charity for places such as Riley's Children's Hospital (kid's with cancer) and for senior centers (doing hair!). That sort of thing shows his character and combined with his excellent class ranking will give his resume a position on the top of the pile of fresh grads who have no such things on their own resumes.

If I ever find myself overboard I'll likely pull on some water wings and make a go at self-employment again. That's always tempting anyway. Didn't someone once say that you'll never be rich working for someone else?

And with that I'm in a downer mood. Today is Friday dang-it! And the day before Cro's birthday! And the day before our shared 10 days of freedom.

I am 200 today. I wanted to be 199 of course. Maybe tomorrow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Today's meals total 51 protein (60-90 grams per day is ideal for me) and 8 carbs


6am
Quest protein bar (20 protein, 5 carbs)


10:30pm
ground sausage & bacon (11 protein)
broccoli (3 carbs)


8pm
bacon (20 protein)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 comments:

  1. Try pounding back the water today and see if you don't pee yourself out of the 200s. :D

    I'm crossing my fingers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice fitcertera. Water water water. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...