Monday, June 6, 2011

Getting there

Only one pound above last Saturday now and feeling super excited since I tend to lose roughly a pound a day after free day. I don't want to jinx myself but what the heck ... it's very possible that I could have a 3 pound loss this week and that would put me once again at the door to one-derland.

It is so disheartening to have achieved large weight loss and then fall victim to an insidious weight creep. I don't believe it's uncommon and it doesn't have to end in complete regain. Things that work against us are the shame of not being able to hold on to that success and knowing that others can see our failure. In my case that added to the denial.

Our confidence in that we know what to do can work against us too. In my case I firmly believed that I knew what to do. What I didn't realize is that in doing this for a couple of years I had found and begun to exploit loop holes that I didn't recognize as being exactly that.

For example, I knew that if I could keep my carbs to 20 or less per day that I should lose weight. I also knew from experience that eating more than 35 carbs per day would cause weight gain. The loop hole was using that 20-34 carbs per day to eat too much of types of low-carb foods that slowed my own particular loss. Yes, cheese can be very low carb. Yes, nuts can also be very low carb. In my own personal situation cheese and nuts became an easy routine. I had them nearly every day, multiple times per day. I kept them within my strict carb limit, usually less than 20grams per day, but the weight was creeping up.

A humble attitude regarding what I think I know has been the key to getting this under control once again. I always have to be open to giving myself an honest review. And regarding the shame of failure ... hey, this isn't an easy road to walk and won't be the first time I trip. I forgive others and cheer for them as they stand up and put one foot in front of the other. I can do the same for myself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Today's meals total 72.8 protein (60-90 grams per day is ideal for me) and 22.5 carbs

7am
80g sirloin (17.6 protein)
red beans (3.5 carbs)
cauliflower (4 carbs)

11am
80g sirloin (17.6 protein)
red beans (3.5 carbs)
cauliflower (4 carbs)

3pm
80g sirloin (17.6 protein)
red beans (3.5 carbs)
cauliflower (4 carbs)

4pm
bacon (20 protein)

1 comment:

  1. I failed too many times to even remember. Who cares as long as we don't give up. I think it's important to remember that calories do matter. Just counting carbs leaves too much space for fats and that, I think, is a downfall of many low carbers.

    Good luck this week. Hope you see a nice big loss.

    ReplyDelete

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...