Monday, July 25, 2011

groggy morning

Groggy is a funny word. At first thought it seems to come from the word "grog" ... isn't grog that medieval alcohol, beer or whatever? My grogginess is not due to grog. It's due to Benadryl. I am still having the feelings of nausea and so am adding ginger supplements and Benadryl to my daily routine. Since I no longer have an ear infection I suppose this nausea may be an MS flair up like I first feared.  Skip past the blue part below if you would rather not read about MS. There is more diet stuff below the blue.

Since it's so easily treatable with supplements I don't need a round of IV solu-medrol. Actually I did call to ask for a consultation a couple of weeks ago but the doctor has not returned the call and at this point I can tough it out. 

If I ever have another major flair-up I surmise I may have to find an actual neurologist rather than continuing to give my neuro-opthamologist a call. I've discussed that all before and I know medical issues are are boring. My fierce independence in this whole thing is due in part by not wanting to trust (and pay) someone for treatment when I know there isn't a cure. Also that I'm very picky regarding doctors and how they interact with me. I appreciate being listened to, involved in decisions regarding treatment and not talked down to.

Most treatments are only to potentially slow disease progression. Solu-medrol is to get over a flair up quickly (so far, on the very few occasions I've needed it, it's been a miracle). 

My neuro-opthamologist has always been respectful of my not wanting to have another MRI done or be on medications. An MRI is only to see where things stand at the moment and what's already happened and there currently are no meds that cure or reverse MS so they are considered optional an at the patient's discretion. The meds are majorly expensive and so is an MRI.

I may have overstayed my welcome since it's always a toss of the dice whether the flair up is even going to involve my eyes. Most often not.

Wow, how did this post turn into a "moan about health" post? I worry about what other people think too much.

My Quest bar limit is now strictly one per day. Mmm Quest bars (and that's why ... they are too easy and too yummy). I'm also having more protein in my meals this week to stay within my self-imposed range. I'm experimenting with splitting my meals into even smaller serving and having them a little more frequently. I guess that is supposed to help with metabolism. I hope it doesn't leave me hungry later. 

My quads are super sore from doing so many squats recently. Good for metabolism too.

Oh, and I'm not allowing myself to weigh-in until Thursday. Hopefully I'll be close to getting over the weekly free day gain by then and can avoid the stress of knowing my weight for a few days.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today's meals total 83 protein (60-90 grams per day is ideal for me) and 18 carbs



6am
sirloin and ground sausage (24 protein)
.125 cup red beans (3 carbs) 
diced peppadew peppers (4 carbs)

10am
half of a Quest bar (10 protein, 2 carbs)

1:30pm
sirloin and ground sausage (24 protein)
.125 cup red beans (3 carbs) 
diced peppadew peppers (4 carbs)

3:30pm
half of a Quest bar (10 protein, 2 carbs)

7pm
bacon (15 protein)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...