Tuesday, October 18, 2011

even keel

I scheduled a doctor appointment for tomorrow and plan to ask about a renewed Zoloft prescription. Last time I was on it was 2004 and though I don't remember why I changed to something else (I wish I'd kept a blog on that sort of thing!) I do know that I moved to a stronger anti-depressant called Effexor. That one had some pretty harsh step-down effects (which I don't remember other than it wasn't fun). I decided a short time later to wean myself off of it.

I loathe taking meds but I take all sorts of vitamins and supplements. I don't even take meds for my MS unless I have a big flair up (which I haven't had in a long while. Thanks low-carb. :)

This stress and anxiety seems much higher than I should have to deal with. I know from my past that a serotonin re-uptake inhibitor puts life back into perspective. Asking for help (with anything) always seems a bit like failure but maybe I shouldn't feel that way. I don't normally talk about such personal things but maybe some of you have gone through a similar situation.

I'm having anxiety regarding what the doctor might say. He might suggest a med that I'm unfamiliar with or a completely different approach. Maybe I shouldn't worry about it until tomorrow. :P

Chicken and cauliflower again today. Yum. :)

Bah, I guess I get weighed on the doctor's scale tomorrow so there won't be my usual avoiding the scale until Thursday.

In good news I found a sweater in my closet that is probably 10 years old and still had the store tags on it ... meaning it's new! Never worn at least, lol.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today's meals totaled 58 protein (60-90 grams per day is ideal for me) and 11 carbs

30g of roasted chicken (9 protein)
cauliflower (2 carbs)

Quest bar (20 protein and 4 carbs)

30g of roasted chicken (9 protein)
cauliflower (5 carbs)

bacon (20 protein)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 comments:

  1. Your sweater looks gorgeous on you! I take an SSRI, too. It's herbal and it's called 5-htp with valerian. And yay for no regular MS meds. Love that low carb is naturally anti-inflammatory. My doc has had me off the anti-inflammatories since before surgery due to them possibly impeding the new bone growth, but I love my way of eating as a way to do that naturally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It is fun to find something new among a closet of old clothes. I actually bought a bottle of 5-htp last night when I was replenishing my garlic/green tea/ala supply. And herbal would give me more peace of mind than a prescription. I'll ask about it tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always get nervous about what the dr will say. Nothing wrong with taking meds, maybe you could try the herbal route like Angie?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I plan to ask him about 5-htp and let him know that I've been taking some of those leftover Zoloft. I found out yesterday that the two don't go well together. I spent the day feeling like I'd been pushed over the ship after being wrapped in the anchor.

    I won't do that again. I thought 5-htp was supposed to enhance Zoloft. Turns out they do two different things and so I I guess the combo of the two means I was suddenly inundated with too much serotonin… I think.

    I guess I should not make assumptions and ask someone who is supposed to know about this stuff.

    What is my hope is that he will tell me that 5-htp will do the trick and suggest that I wean off the Zoloft for a few days before starting.

    ReplyDelete

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...