Thursday, October 20, 2011

what's up doc?

I think Cro has decided on Flatwater Restaurant on the Canal for our date lunch. I'm excited to go somewhere new. :)

The doctor visit yesterday was actually a good experience. An email I sent to Cro:


I just got back from the doctor visit and I actually like this guy
(rare for me to like a doctor). I told him that I don't like
medication though I take lots of vitamin supplements and believe in
those. I told him that I have been trying to read about ways to fix
things on my own and said I discovered that 5-HTP supplement but would
like his opinion. Obviously I'd need to wean back off of Zoloft before
starting it. He listened and didn't talk over top of me (which is why
I liked him).

I told him that asking for help feels like a type of failure to me and
I try to learn what to do and fix things on my own. He said that
asking for help with depression is not a failure anymore than needing
help with something like my MS. That this is a chemical imbalance and
that I shouldn't feel bad for wanting it to be right.

Then he said that given the choice between the 5-HTP and Zoloft he
much prefers and recommends Zoloft. 5-HTP can elevate heart rate (my
blood pressure was high too). Anyway, long story, he suggested that I
try the Zoloft for 6 weeks at a half dose and see him again at that
time. It's not often that a doctor asks and suggests rather than just
telling. I liked that too. So that's what I'm doing. Half dose Zoloft
for six weeks and see how it goes.

---------

Yay for Thursday because tomorrow is Friday and Friday means the weekend is almost here. I think the next week is going to be ultra busy since we just got word that a project is approved (late late approval) but the deadline hasn't been moved back to reflect the delay in approval (of course).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today's meals totaled 58 protein (60-90 grams per day is ideal for me) and 11 carbs

30g of roasted chicken (9 protein)
cauliflower (2 carbs)

Quest bar (20 protein and 4 carbs)

30g of roasted chicken (9 protein)
cauliflower (5 carbs)

bacon (20 protein)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 comments:

  1. Wow, never heard that about the 5-HTP, but I guess it makes sense. I do know that the doctors made me quit it before my surgery along with the Valerian because they were not sure about how it would effect my anesthesia. How is the zoloft treating you? I got an Rx for that a while back, ten years ago, but I never started it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the big thing is just to not use 5-HTP and Zoloft at the same time (which I did and which is probably why my blood pressure was up).

    Zoloft seems to be working out very well. I'm not as anxious and worried about everything in excess. I still feel those things but it seems lots more in perspective than before. The only side effect I've seen from the Zoloft so far is a headache, which will hopefully subside with time.

    Recently I have been seeing lots of television advertisements regarding Zoloft causing birth defects (personal injury lawyer ads). I don't plan to get pregnant but that does reinforce in my mind that Zoloft isn't as gentle as a vitamin. eek

    ReplyDelete

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...