Monday, November 21, 2011

cats and fish

Catfish and brussels sprouts today! The catfish that I had for breakfast was super good too. I was expecting bones but whoever sliced up these filets did a great job. No bones at all. I tried to bread it with flax seed meal but honestly, I could have saved on the mess and simply baked the fish without breading. I ended up scraping it off anyway, it didn't get crisp and looked like a layer of mud. The fish itself was tender, flaky, yummy, great flavor. I like catfish lots. I'm hoping that after a few weeks of fish rather than chicken there will be some noticeable good things happening. I don't know what, but it feels good to know I'm getting in omega 3 and reducing omega 6.

Hmm, lets see what I can maybe expect. These are just my own layman's guesses and may just be wishful thinking. Lets start by listing symptoms of omega 3 fatty acid deficiency (and I have no idea if I was deficient).

Symptoms of omega-3 fatty acid deficiency include (source website):
  • fatigue
  • poor memory
  • dry skin
  • heart problems
  • mood swings or depression
  • poor circulation
I guess fatigue, poor memory, dry skin and depression are all things I can see if improve. Though I'm not really over effected by any of those things (and I'm on an SSRI) so it might not be something I'll notice. I was super fatigued yesterday but I wasn't feeling well so that has nothing to do with normal. :P

Here's what seems like good info on omega 6 (source website). And of course you can visit Anne's blog for great info.

In other news Cro and I are pursuing Drogo. Drogo will be the name of our next kitten. I've gone back and forth in my mind about whether it's a good idea or bad idea to get Drogo while Buddy is still alive. I don't want to cause Buddy Cat anxiety but he is such a loving boy and is alone for hours each day since Cro and I work. He might enjoy a baby brother. I know the baby brother would benefit greatly in knowing him and learning good habits from him. 

Anyway, we are taking our time and if it's meant to be, Drogo will join us. We certainly aren't rushing things but we are starting to look. We HAVE decided to go with a Savannah kitten which is a hybrid between a wild serval and a domestic breed. A Savannah will be leggier and larger than a domestic cat, with larger ears. We are looking into to a1savannahs.com right now but have been looking at several catteries. We would like to adopt a kitten that is 12 week of age or younger. A melanistic (black) kitten of f4 or higher generation is our target. We also want a male. Drogo may not be born yet but we are willing to wait for him.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today's meals total 54 protein (60-90 grams per day is ideal for me) and 8 carbs

3oz catfish [7g protein]
4 Brussels sprouts [2g carb]

Quest bar [20g protein][4g carbs]

3oz catfish [7g protein]
4 Brussels sprouts [2g carb]

Bacon [20g protein]

2 comments:

  1. aww a new fur baby on the way. I can't wait to read all about Drogo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally absorbed with the love of Omega 3's.
    I am soo glad you share the enthusiasm!
    It's really great when blogs and the internet can help like this!

    ReplyDelete

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...