Thursday, November 17, 2011

PUFA the magic dragon lives in the sea (and lakes and rivers)

Thanks to Anne omega 3 fatty acids are on my mind. I was sold on the idea when I read in her blog that they reduce inflammation (which is very important to me due to the MS). Anne's information went even further and made me want to reduce the amount of chicken I eat. I've been having chicken for my strict day meals for several, several weeks but next week I'm going to try changing that to fish. I bought some catfish to start. Cro tells me that fish probably won't stay yummy if I cook it all at the beginning of the week as I have been doing with the chicken. I bought enough to stick in the freezer and make Monday and Tuesday's meals. If it goes well I'll get more fish to cook on Wednesday.

But how to cook fish? This is mostly unknown territory for me but I have a plan for the catfish. Both walnuts (oops, not walnuts after all!) and flax seeds are rich in omega 3 and are low carb. I think I'll grind some walnuts into meal and mix it half and half with flax seed meal. I'll dip the catfish filets into eggs (from free range chickens so they are also higher in omega 3), bread the filets in the walnut-flax meals, then bake them for 15 minutes or so at 350˚. Salt and pepper too and maybe some cayenne. *crossing fingers that this turns out well*

I've never had swordfish but Whole Foods Market carries it. Maybe I'll try that soon too. I love shark (from the one time I had it in Florida) but I haven't been able to find a place here that has it in stock. Oh well. :) I know salmon is supposed to be very high in omega 3 but I'm not sure that I care for it. Granted the only memory I have of trying it was the canned variety.

I won't be giving up poultry but this will be a fun experiment to see if I can work in fish and to see if it makes a difference in anything.

Oh! I'm 183 today. Two days until the official weigh day. I fill like blowing on the dice. Come on 182!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today's meals total 80 protein (60-90 grams per day is ideal for me) and 6 carbs

Chicken breast [20g protein]
2 Brussels sprouts [1g carb]

Quest bar [20g protein][4g carbs]

Chicken breast [20g protein]
2 Brussels sprouts [1g carb]

Bacon [20g protein]

3 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! I bread mine in almond meal (lightly)
    or coconut flour... the walnuts are very very high in Omega 6.
    I actually threw mine out.

    And good job watching the heat, too -
    Omega doesn't like any high flames!
    I'm glad you were inspired! I really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I got my omegas confused. No walnuts then! Thank you for alerting me, Anne. I'm excited to try this new thing.

    ReplyDelete

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...