Wednesday, March 14, 2012

sleep on it?

The phone interview went very well but I have mixed feelings. They seem to have the air of a start-up and maybe even a good share of "Lord of the Flies" thrown in. You now, a boatload of kids on their own trying to make rules and laws and government. In the end the popular clique trumps common sense. I got a strong feeling of "we do things differently than big agencies and we like that just fine". It is also apparent that they are of the "everyone here has a say" attitude. That can be great unless the popular clique is immature and wants agreement without truth. Big agencies are big for a reason. They also stagnate and die for a reason. Lots to think about.

I thought that "sleeping on it" might result in my waking with certainty of what to do regarding pursuit of the 9 - 5. No, it hasn't brought any insight and so I'm just going to have to weigh the options and give it conscious thought.

I may pop in on them Thursday, giving them short notice but not a total surprise visit (which might put them off). I think that might actually be a great idea. The time constraint set by my client meeting (the free training) will enforce keeping it short. A bit of a flyover may give me perspective regarding their company culture and work environment.

*update:
They don't seem keen on having me visit unless I first go through the interview process and they decide whether they will offer me the job or no. Weird feeling about that, it's like they want all the power to make their choice and have me make my decision blind.

In other news! Andy called and has located some parts to address that Jeep clunking problem. He is going to come over Friday to fix-'er up. I think it was something to do with a bar of some sort that keeps the Jeep from feeling like it is going to roll over when I make a turn. Rotor or rotator something? I'm sure Cro remembers. Anyway, Andy was going to do that for free. What a cool guy! I'll offer him some cash anyway.

*another update:
Ha! There's nothing like a new client to get me out of the dumps. I was feeling low about the 9-5's (lack-of)response so gave the brewery guy a call (the guy that Brian said might be looking for a website). I had emailed the brewery guy last week and received no reply but in the interest of making sure he got the message I called. He was SUPER excited and although couldn't talk right then he took my number and will be calling me later tonight to discuss the site design. Cooool.

*yet another update:
After Cro asked if they had offered me the job I gave the guy a call to see what's up (he hadn't replied since I suggested dropping by tomorrow). He acted grumpy during the call. I told him it was no problem, I was going to be downtown and thought it would be a good opportunity for me to see their culture and environment but if they didn't have time I totally understand. (I used an upbeat and happy voice). He then told me that didn't sit well with him (that I would want to waste their time prior to an interview).

I don't regret suggesting that I drop in and I don't feel it would have been a waste of time (afterall, they aren't the only ones making a decision). I think I just dodged a bullet.

Meals today total 13 carbs and 95 protein:
Protein shake (1carb)(25 protein)
Tuna with parmesan and egg (6 carbs)(20 protein)
Protein shake (1carb)(25 protein) 
Carb Quick yogurt (4 carbs)
Protein shake (1carb)(25 protein) 




4 comments:

  1. At our place, we often do what we call a "rent to own" plan which folks in your situation. It's basically an in-office freelance gig of a week (or longer) so that everyone sees if it's a good fit. We had one writer who left after one day and never called or came back (and that wasn't even a busy day). But most of the time, it gives the company a feel for the individual and the individual a feel for the company. Just another idea...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done lots of spec work in past. Sometimes a client even requires that prior to deciding to which agency they will offer the contract. I think trying out someone is a great idea and lets both parties know what it is like and if it is working out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I would think that was a huge red flag if you can't pop in and see the work environment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angie - Thanks for saying so. I've been second-guessing myself today, wondering if wanting to stop in for a quick meet and greet was out of place. My old agency would do that frequently (get together with the applicant before decision was final). It's just a good way to feel them out and see if they might be a good fit. I'm sure it also provided the applicant a sense of whether or not they would be a fit.

    ReplyDelete

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...