Wednesday, August 14, 2013

He is gone.

I took Buddy Cat to be euthanized this morning. Wow, that was so difficult.

At first I hoped he would recover so I babied him. This morning he didn't even come into the kitchen like he normally does, didn't howl, he didn't cry like a kitten, he didn't do anything other than huddle quietly under the piano.

I brought a new bowl of wet food to him. He sniffed it and then threw up a tiny bit of fluid. I picked him up later and set him in front of his water. He just sat there wobbling and trembling and then tried to walk back to sit under the piano. He pretty much dragged his back legs though he tried to make them walk in a wobbly way.

I took him to the vet this morning but she said although she could do some aggressive treatment to try to prolong his life a month or two, if he was her kitty she wouldn't put him through that.

So, 9:38 was his last moment. Wednesday, August 14, 9:38am. He was 17 years, 3 months and two weeks old.

They wrapped him in a towel and I held him like a baby while they gave him the injections to first make him deeply sleep, and then to stop his heart.

He was only 5.4 lbs. The last time I took him to the vet (just a few months ago) he was a little over 9 lbs. Several years ago he was 16 lbs.

I told the vet, through tears: he was a good kitty. he was a bad kitty. he was my kitty. and I loved him. I loved him.

2 comments:

  1. I told the vet, through tears: he was a good kitty. he was a bad kitty. he was my kitty. and I loved him. I loved him.

    A beautiful epitaph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pets teach us unconditional love, right to their very last breath. Good thoughts are with you, sweetie! Sending you my very best. Now, where can I send those low carb cookies?

    ReplyDelete

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...