Friday, February 26, 2016

I like that Bee-witched-ed, you know

The movie with Matt was fun but it was COLD outside. The type of cold that my dad would have called "Colder than a well-digger's ass". I guess given the theme of this post I could say it was colder than a witch's ***… but I've never liked that expression. I only like the other because it reminds of of things dad said.

We saw The Witch and I came out of it saying "I'm not sure if I liked it or not." I did though, I'm still thinking about it today. It was just SO different. Matt said that he did like it but it probably isn't something he would recommend unless he knew the person was into that style of movie.

So now you are probably wondering what was so different about it. Bunches of stuff but I suppose the big thing is all of it together didn't make for a typical hollywood-slick style. That's good though. Okay, specifics… large areas of time with no music. None. Very quiet to the point that someone's clothing shuffling as they moved was noticeable. Noticeable on screen and in the audience. The spookiness was very atmospheric rather than shown. Implied creepiness. The characters' accents were so heavy and antiquated that it was difficult to understand them at times. Matt even said they could have used subtitles because so much was getting by him.

None of that was spoiler-y but the next line will be so turn away now if you don't want it spoiled.
***SPOILER***
Na, I really want you to see it unspoiled if you are going to see it.
****DONE****

In seeing it I was reminded about how much Matt has loved witch mythology his entire life. He even told me about Sabrina, the Teenage Witch and how it didn't begin as a kid-friendly comic. How there is a new "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" line of more spooky Sabrina comics that come out of the "Archie Horror" line.

Outside Matt's office building. Road construction in the mirror.

We didn't have to silence our phones. We were the only ones there!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...