Wednesday, May 18, 2016

serendipity

Sometimes it takes a failure to lead to new discovery and success! That may be a big statement for the failure of my corndog attempt leading to these, but OMG these deserve a big statement. They are amazing!

By filling mini-cupcake tins with a layer of yesterday's batter, cutting the remaining dogs into pieces small enough to tuck in and cover with another tiny scoop of batter, I made something so good that I'll be making it again. I'll skip trying to form them into corndogs to fry. These are better.

I didn't have a guide regarding how hot or the amount of time to bake them. I put them in at 400ºF for ten minutes, checked and set them for another 10 minutes. 20 minutes total cooking time was perfect. They are light, fluffy, and slightly sweet.

I experimented by leaving some plain, sprinkling shredded cheese on others, and topped a few with a bit of salsa chili and shredded cheese. The plain ones are great. The ones with a small bit of shredded cheese are my favs. The ones with chili were a little too messy to pick up with hands so though tasty, they are my least favorites.

I'm counting these as 3 carbs each though I am just guestimating from what a full corndog was listed as in the original recipe and trying to take into account my modifications. I should work out the official counts but giving them a guess number will keep me from eating a whole pan at once. They are that good.

See below. I added up the counts and if you make 36 mini muffins that makes them 1.3 carbs each. Good new since I ate 4 for breakfast. :)

My mods, I used Stevia in the Raw as my sweetener, used a pinch of gelatin rather than xanthan gum, used an entire can of coconut milk rather than 1/3 cup, I didn't have cornmeal so substituted with more almond meal.

Proof that they look yummy in photos below. I guess I will call these LC pigs-in-a-blanket mini muffins. This one is a keeper!


LC Pigs-in-a-Blanket Mini Muffins  
All my carb counts are after fiber has been subtracted. 
1 cup + 3 TBSP almond flour [14.25carbs]
3 TBSP coconut flour [1.5carbs]
1 TBSP artificial sweetener (I used Stevia in the Raw) [1.5carbs]
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp unsweetened gelatin powder
1/4 tsp baking powder [.3carbs]
3 eggs [1.8carbs]
2 TBSP oil (I used peanut oil)
1 can unsweetened 13.6oz coconut milk [15carbs]
7 beef franks [14carbs]
[48.35 total carbs / 36 mini muffins]
1.34carbs each (without topping)







6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I was surprised they turned out so well!

      Delete
  2. I'm coming over.... *mouth literally watering*

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great recipe! I may have to try these. I used to make something similar for breakfast when I was on AIP (no cheese though!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, giving up the cheese is another goal to get me back on track. These are great even without it!

      Delete

I nearly always reply to comments. Check back if you are interested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...